Friday, December 7, 2007

That was quick! The phenomenon of lolcats

So I decide to look up lolcat on Wikipedia, so that I can find the mystical origin of these pictures I'm addicted to. And I find something surprising: icanhascheezburger, one of my favorite sites in the world and one of the biggest lolcats sites, made its first entry in January. This January. As in 2007. It's so young! The earliest lolcat instance they can even find is 2005. Phenomena in the Digital Age doesn't take long. One website, one video, can turn into a huge catchphrase in a just a couple of days. Think about all of them: Hamster Dance, Peanut Butter Jelly Time, Brokeback Mountain parodies, Chuck Norris facts, or Numa Numa. Infamy is just a click away. Consider this a mini-entry, just because I was so shocked that icanhascheezburger had only been around for a year. The essay took a lot of my cognitive thought out of me. but here's two bonuses: a lolcat bible and a bonus locat!

No comments: